Blog Archive

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Samsung HD154UI 1.5 TB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive

SAM HD154UI 1.5TB 32M SA5400

Amazon Sales Rank: #2979 in Personal Computers Brand: Samsung Model: HD154UI Number of items: 1 Dimensions: 26.10" h x 147.00" w x 101.50" l, 1.43 pounds Hard Disk: 1500GB MAX. 1.5TB Formatted Capacity Per Disk Serial ATA 3.0Gbps Interface Support Improved recording stability over temperature with PMR Advanced dynamic FOD control for best data integrity Intelligent compensation of external disturbance

Most helpful customer reviews 14 of 14 people found the following review helpful. Bang for the buck By BCHOOR Just ordered 3 (max it would let me) from Amazon, and picked a 4th one from a local MicroCenter. They are installed using rubber gromets, and when all 4 are running at full speed, I can't bearly hear them. When the case is closed (I have a sound dampening case) - I don't hear anything. I bought it for these reasons: 1. I wanted a green drive that would work well with RAID, the others I looked at WD Caviar Green and Seagates - had issues with RAID. 2. I was torn between the 2TB model F3EG, but went with the 1.5TB - simply for lower cost per TB while still having redundancy. I don't plan on upgrading for a long time. If I do - I guess I'll rebuild to newer interface (SATA 3). 3. Quiet drive, since I have already spent some money to get my case to an inaudible level. So far, it is quieter than I could have expected. 4. Wasn't really worried about speed - something good enough. In RAID5, I get reads of 300+MB/s, and write of 30-40MB/s (write-cached disabled) and 200+MB/s (write-cache enabled). I have write-cahced enabled write now - since I'm moving a lot of data over, I might consider disabling it, since I don't see a constant write of 30+MB/s in regular operation. 5. I wasn't planning on using it as an OS disk - only for storage. It would have been nice if they had inclded a SATA cable. I realize it's an OEM - my fault that I didn't pay attention. All in all, great purchase so far. I hope the drives lives to at least 3 years - that's when I might consider upgrading. 8 of 8 people found the following review helpful. Does what they are supposed to do, gives me the space I need By El Duderino I bought four of these drive to put in my NAS - a Synology DS410. After formating for a RAID5, I got about 4.2GB of usable data. These drives all worked right of the box, no failures (yet). The packaging was awesome so they all arivved safe and sound. These drive were on the compatibility list of my NAS, but not only that, they got the best reviews when compared to Seagate or WD for the same type of drives. (WD has upgraded their firmware on their non-enterprise drives to not work with RAID well to help push their more expensive RE editions) These drives are definitly the best bang for your buck. I got these drives because they are "Eco Friendly." Since my NAS is on all the time, I wanted a lower energy using and coler running drives. These fit the bill perfectly. Even at peak use, they are only running between 39-43 degrees Celsius. The hottest one being right above the mainboard in the NAS. Plus, my NAS is in a cabinet (with the back panel removed) so it doesn't have as much air flow as it would sitting on top of a desk. Write speed for very many large files, about 350 movies copied over at once, was a solide 42-43 Mb/s on my Gig-E network. It would peak at the beginning at about 60-65 Mb/s so I have to see if there is some sort of caching offered by my NAS to help improve this. However, the 43Mb/s speed definitly decent and since I am only writing that much data once, it's perfectly acceptable. I have actually seen other reviews of my NAS that said ~40Mb/s max with 7200 RPM drives with 64 MB cahce, so It's most likely my NAS. 5 of 6 people found the following review helpful. Samsung EcoGreen as DVR Drive By Dale L. Splitstone I purchased several drives to try with my Moxi DVRMoxi 2-Tuner 500GB HD Digital Recorder. The 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen is the best I have tried so far. Western Digital 500 GB My DVR Expander - No power button. Toshiba PH3200U-1EXB 2TB - Would shut down after 30 minutes idle and not wake up. The following drives are internal drives used in a Rosewill Enclosure: 500GB Seagate Barrcuda - Noisy when processing more than 1 video stream, and shut down when idle for more than 30 minutes and not wake up without power button. 1TB Hitachi Deskstar - Shut down and wouldn't wake up after 30 minutes idle without power

0 comments:

Post a Comment