Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Acomdata Samba USB 2.0/Firewire 400 3.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Enclosure SMBXXXU2FE-BLK (Black)

Jazz up your data storage with Samba. The AcomData Samba Enclosure lets you transform a 3.5" IDE hard drive into high-performance portable storage. Samba`s smart, sturdy chassis and the illustrated, easy-to-follow guide make installation as simple as humming your favorite tune. Samba's near-silent operation will help you stay in the groove while you jam in tons of music, photos, video-and any other digital files.

Color: Black Brand: Acomdata Model: SMBXXXU2FE-BLK Original language: English Number of items: 1 Dimensions: 3.94" h x 9.45" w x 11.81" l, 2.45 pounds Hi-Speed USB 2.0 & Firewire A Takes a SATA hard disk 48-bit logical block addressing Near-silent, fanless operation Hot pluggable and Mac and PC compatible

The Samba Combo lets you transform a 3.5” SATA hard disk drive into high-performance portable storage. Samba‘s smart, sturdy chassis and the illustrated, easy-to-follow guide make installation as simple as humming your favorite tune. Samba’s near-silent operation will help you stay in the groove while you jam in tons of music, photos, video —and all your other digital files. Acomdata’s elegant, compact design reflects its purist approach to data storage The Samba enclosure is equipped for solid reliability and ultra-fast performance The smart chassis design and fully illustrated guide make installation simple and—like the Samba itself—extremely fast. Samba’s near-silent operation will help you stay in the groove while you jam in tons of music, photos, video —and all your other digital files. Acomdata Product Features Silent Operation Hot Pluggable Mac & PC Compatible 3 Year Limited Warranty Free Tech Support Forever 48 bit Logic Block Addressing USB 2.0 & Firewire400 What’s in the Box Acomdata Hard Drive Samba Enclosure, Stand, USB Cable, Firewire Cable, Mounting Screws, AC Adapter, Installation Guide, CD

Most helpful customer reviews 10 of 12 people found the following review helpful. Nice Enclosure, but it is NOT for PATA IDE hard disks. By R. Ketcham I have used many different external hard disk enclosures over the years. I have had varying results... cases that have melted, cases that had drive capacity limits, etc. Eventually I found the Acomdata Enclosures at Fry's. I used their older, heavy duty cases many times. They are just excellent. Quiet, with no fan, but with excellent cooling. Easy to assemble / disassemble. I recently started using their lower cost and lighter weight Samba Enclosures. My previous experience is with the USB/PATA/SATA case. They work great. Same excellent attributes as the heavy duty cases. Today I received four of the items described on this page. From the Amazon product description, it looks like the perfect, universal disk drive enclosure - USB/Firewire/PATA IDE/SATA. It is not. In spite of what the Amazon product description says, there is no PATA IDE capability. The Acomdata web page has the description right, so I assume Amazon simply blew it on this one. Still an excellent case - since it is not universal - 4 stars instead of 5. But, if you need the PATA IDE capability, look elsewhere. 2 of 2 people found the following review helpful. Best Firewire 400 Enclosure I've found for the price By Joe I've tried 4 different USB/Firewire SATA enclosures, and so far this has been the best one. I've had no problems in the 6 months I've been using it with my older Mac Mini, and Ibook G4. If you have a newer Mac, get a Firewire 800 (1394 b), otherwise this works great for my purposes, and the Firewire 400 is much faster than USB for doing bulk file transfers. Installation is a breeze, the aluminum shell keeps the drive cool, and it is tight so there is no vibration or amplification of drive noise. The dual color LED status light is a plus, instead of just a blinking single color LED... You can tell if there is a lot of I/O activity, or if the drive is sleeping just by looking at the LED color. I've tried the Macally enclosure that is similar price, and it would not power a 2TB 7200 rpm drive properly due to a lower amp power supply... so that got returned. I've gone through 2 Rosewill RX81-MP enclosures in less than 2 years... I loved them, but they don't last. I also have an ICY DOCK enclosure that I think is great, but it cost me 2x the price, and it doesn't perform any better than the Acomdata enclosure... It also amplifies any drive noise, but thankfully I'm using Samsung Spinpoint 2TB drives, and they are very quiet and cool running. I wrote this review while placing an order for a 2nd Acomdata enclosure, and I'll buy more unless someone comes up with something better, but for now, this is the best price/performance/design I've found so far. 1 of 1 people found the following review helpful. Not the greatest of enclosures.... By Arun K. Seetharam This is a nice looking enclosure, not so compact. Its aluminium body handles heat very well....with a fanless operation. Very easy to fit the hard drive in and fasten it to the chasis. But of what use are these if the whole chasis is mounted on plascic ends. the rear cap which is a low quality plastic holds the whole heavy 3.5" drive. And the screws, mount into a plastic core. What this means is, dont screw it tight, it will remove the thread inside the plastic core and thats it...the screw keeps rotating. Here is the most important thing. I mounted a 2TB hard drive. And had to move/backup large amounts of data. The indicator LED glows in 3 colors. Blue, orange and red. Red means dead. Locked up, you have to switch off the hard drive before you can do anything with the dialog box/ progress indicator. 4 times dead red on Vista....I thought...Aaah well it may be the darn vista thing....so I moved to XP Pro.....same problem. Dead Red first attempt to copy. The data transfer is not reliable. The applications hangup and I used to blame the app. Like for Eg.

0 comments:

Post a Comment